We struggle with social media, blog posts, enewsletters, etc… there are many ways to get the word out, and sometimes it feels oppressive. More than “sometimes.” A lot.
Our company run flagship site, MissoulaEvents.net, decided to take a new approach to social media this year. They kicked off the Instagram and Facebook #SoMissoula campaign in August 2022 with Missoula Social Media guru, Shelby Humpherys. The results are off the charts on numerous levels: fun, engaging, informative and uplifting. Shelby and the MissoulaEvents.net staff (Lori + Nikki) are taking this community love fest to new heights.
The premise is quite simple:
* claim a catchy hashtag for your community calendar (i.e. #SoMissoula)
* make a list of all of your local partners: advertisers, venue pages, nonprofits, support agencies, etc
* assign them to the weeks of the year, depending on their major events or happenings
* post twice a week with using collaborator tagging and hashtags – a general post and a story
* print up some #SoMissoula swag and hand it out to each partner on their special week (hats, canvas totes, koozies, stickers, t-shirts, plus coasters and napkins for food and bev locations)
* push posts to Facebook (consider TikTok for 2023)
* remind each partner to like, share and repost – and to wear the swag
* ask your staff to like, share and repost – and wear the swag
* intersperse funny “iconic Missoula” posts about quirky sights, foibles or facts around town
* create a dashboard (i.e. spreadsheet in Google docs) and watch your social media numbers, your website traffic, your email list subscribes and your sales numbers skyrocket!
Would you like to launch a campaign like this for your community?